Connemara's Drummer Boy, CD, CGN, RE, USA RN, HI, SdS, SHDMX,

Connemara's Drummer Boy, CD, CGN, RE, USA RN, HI, SdS, SHDMX,
Little Dog..... Big Attitude

Training in Earest

I am so blessed to have the quality dogs I own. They make training so easy. For example, Wednesday night, I took Hunter to dog club and decided to teach him then and there to do scent work. So I took Token's scent dumbbell, held it for 10 seconds, asked Hunter to take it in his mouth a couple of times (he doesn't hold it) and then I placed it on the tie-down board next to Ryder's bell. I simply waited until he was curious enough to go over and touch the bell with his nose. Then I clicked/treated. In five minutes, he was 90% choosing his over the other. Added Betsy's bell. No problem. Hunter chose his. So, what now? Well, we'll keep this up for another week or so and in the meantime we'll teach him the jumps (back-chaining) and then add a couple of other dogs to the mix. In addition, his heeling was superb and he was focused in spite of having Daryl walk beside and behind us. I will pull back from showing this summer except for Swayze who can work his Excellent Rally title. The dogs can spend the summer working at home and playing at summertime relaxation while I work with client dogs sent in for Boarding/Training school. Maybe offer a tracking camp for a week in the summer as I have had lots of inquiries about it. And then out to compete in the Fall with draft, obedience, conformation (need to finish Mo and Swayze yet) and rally. And who knows? With the help of my friend, Denise, you may even see me at some agility trials with Shaggy and Drum. Keep reading the blog. I'll post some every week with neat pics. If you have training questions, I'd be glad to address them. It's all about producing good dogs. Judi

No comments: