Connemara's Drummer Boy, CD, CGN, RE, USA RN, HI, SdS, SHDMX,

Connemara's Drummer Boy, CD, CGN, RE, USA RN, HI, SdS, SHDMX,
Little Dog..... Big Attitude

Ouch!!

Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch! My shoulder still hurts after almost a week! What a freak accident, anyway. My husband says that some people will go to extreme lengths to get out of splitting wood. What started out as a great lesson with Mesa herding turned into stupidity. Mesa pushed the sheep up to me and these sheep, being Velcro sheep, stuck together..... I mean STUCK together and pushed into me en masse (tight bunch). I was doing great and thought I could just ride it out by grabbing a sheep on either side as they went past, and it was a great idea until one of the damn dorpers stepped on my foot and wouldn't go past while the others pushed into me. I tried to pull my foot out from under the sheep and when it unstepped (is that a word) I came loose like a torpedo and spun forward onto the ground. It wasn't a hard hit, but I stuck out my arm to break the fall and wrenched my shoulder!
I thought I was okay and finished the lesson, which turned out great in the end with Mesa reading her stock well and moving them through panels very nicely and giving me the space I needed so that I didn't end up in another crush. The drive home was super painful and ended with me using one hand. Deb drove me to the hospital. Thankfully, after an X-ray, I got the good news that neither my shoulder blade or collar bone were broken and that only my AC muscle was sprained. I celebrated!!!! On good drugs, that is. And my neighbor helped Darryl split logs. Today, I have most of my range of movement back, but I am still really deeply sore. If it rains Thursday, I am not slipping around in sheep shit and carrying a mucky, stinky dog back home. But if the sun is out, I am game!!!! L'il Bo Peep, look out!!
Drummer, our sheltie puppy, is beginning to pay good attention in spite of distraction. What a smart cookie.

No comments: